Tuesday 14 May 2013

Cool Photo Card Inserts images

Poor Man Strip Light
photo card inserts
Image by funadium
This is the strip light I used to add some light to the fiasco photo (see below): a 60 cm 20W fluorescent tube inside its own box.
Even if simple, this strip light is more flexible (no puns intended!) than many professional ones: you can accurately shape the light to give your strip different widths.

All you have to do is:
1) cut in the middle a side of the box containing the tube
2) make some cuts perpendicular to the long one, to create some "wings"
3) attach pieces of cardboard to the wings, to act as barndoors

Modifying the aperture and the length of the barndoors you can make your light wider or thinner.
There is no need to make the inside of the box reflective, because there is not enough space to reflect the light.
If you want to add a grid in front of the strip light, you can make the short cuts very close, and insert into them some business cards perpendicular to the tube.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questa è la strip light che ho usato per aggiungere luce alla foto dei fiaschi (vedi sotto): un tubo fluorescente da 20W, 60 cm, dentro la propria confezione.
Anche se semplice, questa strip light è più flessibile (senza sottintesi!) di molte altre professionali: potete accuratamente sagomare la luce per dare alla vostra striscia illuminata differenti larghezze.

Tutto quello che c'è da fare è:
1) tagliare al centro un lato della confezione del tubo
2) fare alcuni tagli perpendicolari a quello lungo, per creare alcune "alette"
3) attaccare pezzi di cartone alle alette, in modo che facciano da sagomatori

Modificando l'apertura e la lunghezza dei sagomatori potete avere la luce più larga o più stretta.
Non c'è bisogno di rendere l'interno della confezione riflettente, perché non c'è abbastanza spazio per riflettere la luce.
Se volete aggiungere una griglia davanti alla luce, potete fare i tagli corti molto ravvicinati, ed inserirvi un po' di biglietti da visita perpendicolari al tubo.


__


05.FarragutSquare.WDC.18dec05
photo card inserts
Image by Elvert Barnes
Sunday Photo Walk . Downtown . Farragut Square, NW . WDC . Sunday afternoon, 10 December 2005

Street Life series
Elvert Xavier Barnes Photography
_______________________
When I'd began to snap this picture the subject would yell back "Don't take my picture pissing". And before I could turn the camera away he said "Go ahead, I don't care ...!".

When ever I now observe someone urinating in the street I remember when over Presidents Day 2003 that I was almosted arrested in NYC, in the Bowery, when after 'partying' at the Saint White Party that I would piss in the street.

I had actually travelled to NYC to document the F15-03 Anti-War Protest and, in the process, would plan to attend the White Party. Similarly, one year later when I would document the NYC M20-04 anti-war demonstration I would attend the Saint Black Party.

One of the things that has always bothered me, as a black man, is when I ever I have frequented such clubs or gone to gay bars is the fact the white men will always approach me about drugs. As was the case, in 2003, at the White Party. Several guests would comment to me that in recent years, the White and Black parties have had less balck men than years before. When I would move to NYC in September 1980 The Saint would open a few weekends later. My roommate, Frank and I, along with our friends would go to the Saint at least twice a month.

And when I'd move back to WDC I would sometimes take a weekend trip for a Saint Party. The last time that I had been to a Saint event was 21 March 1987 when friend Robert Mapplethorpe and I would go as invted guests. Since his photograph of me was used on the inside of the invitation www.flickr.com/photos/perspective/15922517/.

In my writings and as a tribute to Mapplethorpe I'd write about my 1987 Black Party experience in "...ya'll just their n_____ ..." which reflects on a conversation that Robert and I had on Sunday monring, at Lox Around the Clock, on 6th Avenue before returning to his Chelsea loft.

Though race has always been twisted into and out of my life, at that time, I had no way of knowing the impact that racism would have on my life. Since the circles that I travelled in, the men whom I associated with, and companies that I worked for were mostly white. I, of coruse, have had relations with folks of all colors and ethnicities. And, yet, it always bothered me that white men would always approach me about drugs.

As was the case at the 2003 White Party. Each time that I would go to the bathroom many would follow me to the bathroom ... to see if or what drugs I may do, in the stall. The same stall and same bathroom where they themselves were doing drugs.

I would have the same expereince, in WDC, when I work in catering. White guys would approach me about drugs. And follow me to the bathroom. So, over the years, it bothers me when ever I go to the bathroom to take a piss that somebody, black or white, will follow me to the bathroom. And sometimes watch me 'take a shit'.

While partying and dancing I'd meet a Jewish man. I'd offer him some of my party drugs. We'd dance, chit-chat and then decided to go back to his place, on the Upper East Side.

Just before leaving, I started to go the bathroom, to take a piss. but since the moment that I had met him, each time that I would go to the bathroom to take a piss he insisted on going with me. So, not only would he follow me into the bathroom to take a piss. So would many others.

So, instead of going to the bathroom before leaving I decided that I could probably hold it until we got to his place. Or, if I had to I would sneak around a corner, in the street, and take a piss.

Just as we'd exit from the _____, as is the case often whjen I have to piss ... having spent more money than I had planned purchasing bottled water for myself and my aqquaintance and tipping I had already mentioned to him that I needed to get to an ATM machine.

He said that he had seen one just across the street. As we exited the place I said I'll run over to the ATM, get some catch and take a piss.

Observing the police car a few yards up the street I'd reflect on the fact that having photogfraophed the anti-war protest earlier that day several of the white men who had approached me at the club were policemen. Two I had danced and talked with. One remarked that he was disappointed that there were not many black men in attendence.

Always when I take pictures of protests as I did of the F15-03 police will follow me.

After taking a piss just a few feet away from the ATM I'd insert my card and withdraw cash.

Just as I pulled the cash from the slot a hand touched my shoulder saying "Didn't you hear me talking to you?"

It was one of the cops that I had observed sitting in the car a few feet away. He said "in NYC it is against the law the urinate in the street. And unles you have two ids I may have top take you to jail."

Knowing that he knew that I had photographed the anti-war protest earlier that day I'd say that I was a photographer from WDC who had come in town to document the anti-war protest. And as such, when I go to clubs, for partyinmg, I usually only will bring some ID. Just in case my wallet is stolen or I get mugged. not knowing for sure I'd search through wallet and could only find one ID. The Jewish man whom, I had met, near by. He took my drivers license and went back to his patrol car. I kept looking inb my wallet, and would come across my voter registration card. I'd rush over and hand that to him.

He said, you seem OK but I'll have to give you a ticket. So, he did.

On the taxi ride up to acquantaince's apartment on the Upper East Side I could not but help reflect on the fact that I could easily have been take nto jail. Remembering the many anti-police brutality protests that, in recent years, I had documented in WDC that were held in memory of Amadou Diallo and others I was in no mood for sex or party. Nor pleasant conversation.

The Jewish man and I would spend the rest of the day together partying, talking and sexing. I could not get out of my mind the impact that racism has had on my life. A black man.

Even when I need to take a piss.

Had each time that I had to take a piss someone did not follow me to the bathroom I would have taken a piss before leaving the club. And the ntoo, had I not shared my party drugs more than likely the acquantance would not have had any interest in me.

One of my sisters and close friend whose apartment I stayed in over Presidents Day 2003 as well as in March 2004 when they speak to me about drugs they often speak about the Devil. It has always bothered me, as a black man, when others speak, in tongue or code to me. I often speak to the fact that it has been my experience that folks (blacks and whites) have different expectations and rules for black men as opposed to white men.

It has always bothered me that when speaking about or approaching black men that drugs always become the issue. And since many will interchange the word devil for the word drugs when a white man whose on durgs ask me about drugs, at The Saint, in a bar, or when I cater I have clear understanding of his intentions. Just as i do when someone speaks to me about the devil.

And, yet, it has been expereinced that many of the whites that I know, associate and have had relationships right do do drugs was connected to ther association witrh me.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION . 21 December 2005

Elvert Xavier Barnes Photography



my first computer
photo card inserts
Image by jurvetson
My Dad just scanned these old photos from the 70’s, back when floppy discs were actually floppy and televisions were embedded in wood like furniture. I was such an Apple fanboy… I clearly couldn’t get enough of those stickers.

This powerful tool was something my father never had growing up. But during the 70's, he manufactured memories, and I remember plugging in banks of his chips to boost the programming capacity of my precious Apple ][ from 16K to 48K (which I used up with my Adventure game written in BASIC).

Seeing this time capsule brings back many fond memories and reminds me that each generation provides more compute resources to the next.

While the generations are bound to the metronome of biology, the power of our cognitive prostheses grows exponentially.


IMG_4893
photo card inserts
Image by kentkb
Flea Market Finds

This photo is licensed under a Creative Commons license. If you use this photo, please list the photo credit as "Kent K. Barnes / kentkb" and link the credit to: www.kentkb.com.
Thank You...

No comments:

Post a Comment