Friday 1 March 2013

the 2nd best gift i got for my birthday

the 2nd best gift i got for my birthday
photo birthday card
Image by *0ne*
i am crazy, simply MAD for mushrooms. my friend carol - fellow foodie, alton brown groupie, and mushroom fan - has been thinking about getting me one of these for my birthday for years. this year she actually did it.

this is a mushroom log. it is completely infused with the spore of shiitake mushrooms. shiitakes are my favorites - so far.

you have to soak it in pure water (no tap or the chlorine will kill the spawn) you "shock" it into fruiting by making it very cold (freezing it won't hurt it), and you can mist it heavily with pure water to make sure it remains humid.

i shocked mine in the fridge for 24 hours, and there was a "pin" or baby mushroom poking out when i took it out! it's the only one i have so far, but getting anything your first shock is a toss-up, so i'm very happy indeed.

beside the log is the card carol got me for my birthday. hawt, no?

i can't wait till it's producing lots of mushrooms. then you can come over for dinner!

anybody want a mushroom log of their own? visit lost creek mushroom farm and order one! they even send you a little book of recipes!

ya gotta view the card large to fully appreciate that ass.




Birthday Card
photo birthday card
Image by lu_lu
From Perth Twits.

Related blogpost.


Year 3~Day 280 +251/365 AND Day 1011: Birthday Card from Mother
photo birthday card
Image by Old Shoe Woman
This beautiful card came today. Mother was very busy on my birthday since my sister's husband was in the hospital recuperating from gallstone surgery. I was very happy to receive these lovely butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment