Monday 14 January 2013

Fujifilm FinePix A203

Fujifilm FinePix A203
xd photo card
Image by loganberrybunny
Strangely, the only professional review I can find of the FinePix A203 is this one from CNET Asia, which dates from December 2002 and is generally positive. It seems a pretty fair review to me, too. This 2mp camera is not really the most exciting around - although I like the metal lens cap that slides across automatically after the lens has retracted - but it does a decent job. It had a big brother, the 3mp A303. (There's also an A403, but it's a completely different animal!)

Like most Fujifilm cameras, it takes xD memory cards, which is a bit of a pain. Less of a pain is the fact that it takes ordinary AA batteries and lasts a good long time on them; several hundred pictures can be taken on one pair without too much trouble. The A203 is fairly short on features, and a combination of a mediocre flash and the fact that it's locked to ISO 100 makes it unsuitable for low-light photography, but as an outdoor snapshot camera to slip into a coat pocket it's not bad at all.

This is very much a simple point-and-shoot camera, and there's a distinct lack of options to control: you can alter exposure compensation, white balance and LCD brightness, but that's about it. The 3x optical zoom works okay, although I'm not particularly taken with its controls: you have to push a button up and down to zoom in and out; it does the job but isn't all that comfortable. Nor do I much like the mode dial, which is parallel with the back of the camera and has such shallow knurling that it's hard to turn.

What the A203 does seem to be (at least in the few weeks I've owned it so far!) is reliable. Mine is old enough that the backup battery is on its last legs, so things like date and time have to be reset every time I leave it in the box for more than a day or so, but that's a minor problem. Photo quality is acceptable: I wouldn't call it best in class by any means, but nor am I particularly unhappy with it. A notable good point is that it doesn't lose sharpness at the tele end, something quite a few of its rivals suffer from.


What's in my bag
xd photo card
Image by BigTallGuy
The contents of my Lowepro Micro Trekker 200


Testing ... 1 .. 2 .. 3
xd photo card
Image by DennisSylvesterHurd
December 2005 - It's not art .. it's just the first 8-megapixel photo I have ever taken. I just wanted to see if I could USB from an Xd card in my new camera.

My goodness ... a single file can be 2 to 4 megabytes!

I post general comments in my blog at my eJournal and images.


Walking through the trees . . . .
xd photo card
Image by loopoboy 2.0
Whispering Pines Park. The park has great trails, with plenty of things to see.
This is an out of focus shot that I almost deleted from the XD card, but I liked the scene and colors, so I kept it and edited it a bit.

Part of my Best of 2011 set.


Golden
xd photo card
Image by Angel The Asian

It's so nice and sunny. I approve of this weather. So, I thought I would randomly blab on here, and tag some people. XD

I just came home from getting my report card and yearbook an hour or so ago. :) I'm on the high honor roll ^__^ And now I can just really start to relax and have fun during the summer.

Also, I thought I would share that one of my photos is going to be featured on Photo Life magazine :D I thought that was some pretty exciting news. Check it out in the August/September issue?

Here are some random facts!

Name: Angel
Age: 15 XD
Location: C-C-Canada!
Birthplace: China :)
Time where you live: 11:48AM Whee!
Favorite Music: Switchfoot, Augustana, We Shot the Moon, Panic! At the Disco, Vampire Weekend, The Beatles and about a billion more

No comments:

Post a Comment