Monday 15 April 2013

Disneyland Hotel Registration Desk

Disneyland Hotel Registration Desk
disney photo card
Image by Rennett Stowe
Similar to cruise ships, Disney resorts issue guests a single "Magic Kingdom" card which serves as both room key and a universal charge card. However, some independent vendors who operate within the various parks may not accept the card for purchases.


Goodbye, Sammy. (With Flickr notes)
disney photo card
Image by Earl - What I Saw 2.0
We have been a lot of places together, but that's all over now. I couldn't fix what was broken about you, so I had to let you go - even though I didn't want to.

When I found you on the luggage carousel at BWI, this is what they had done to you.

I love to travel.

My parents gave me my first real piece of luggage in 1970, for my high school graduation - an American Tourister hard side three suiter, in green. (Green was a cool luggage color back then. You have to trust me on this.) I used it all the way until 1994, when a bottle of Jamaican Jerk Spice Rub burst inside it on the way home from a trip to Kingston. Jerk spice is pretty pungent, and I like it on chicken and burgers, but it's not so hot on clothes. So I bought this one.

Hard sided luggage is kind of expensive, but it really protects your stuff - that's why I like it. I got a Samsonite because it was the best there was at the time (maybe still) and I didn't want to have to worry about my stuff getting broken or stolen while I was traveling. I always keep my can't-afford-to-never-see-it-again stuff in my carry on.

Some places where Sammy and I have been:

Some good times:

Jamaica, 6 times
The Bahamas
Las Vegas, twice
LA
Colorado Springs, CO, twice
Williamsburg, VA 5 times
Washington, DC, 5 times
Richmond, VA
Ocean City, MD - too many times to count
Rehoboth Beach, DE (see above)
Boston
Disney, Orlando
Outer Banks, NC - 4 times

Some sad times, too:

My mom's and then my dad's funerals, in Wilmington, DE
My Uncle Bill's funeral in Wisconsin
My father-in-law's funeral in Hagerstown, MD

It has traveled in the bellies of buses and airplanes, on trains, on roof racks, and in car trunks from everything from VW's to Mercedes - and it never let me down. Not once.

I love to travel, and I even love packing for the trip. I guess it's the old Eagle scout in me. I'm one of those guys who start to get excited folding, packing, adjusting all the stuff that's going with me because it means I'm going somewhere, anywhere, for a fresh experience and to see something new, or to see something I've seen before and loved, again.

I love the way luggage feels when it's empty, because it's going to be filled soon, and I love the way it feels full, because it means I'm on the road or about to be in the air.

I love packing the car trunk with all of our bags, getting it all in right, and maybe getting it all in a little better than the last trip.

I love the hustle of airports, leaving early because I never sleep much before I travel - I'm too excited about it. I love seeing all of the people, and talking to other travelers.

I love customs lines, entering another country or coming home to this one, trying to guess where all of the other people are from, and seeing the different look of passports.

I really love getting my passport stamped, because that means I'm somewhere else, ready to get into a fresh culture and a fresh part of the world.

I guess - no, I'm sure of it - that when this bag was broken, somehow I felt like all of those other places and experiences were broken, too. I got mad about it because no one seemed to care.

I know "it's just a bag."

I also know it's a whole lot more, too.

I wanted to keep it, even though it didn't and wouldn't work right. I thought I could still use it for car trips. My wife said, and I'm sure she was right, that I needed to let it go. I know it's just a thing. It's just a thing that that has been with me for some special times, experiences and places, and more importantly, special people in my life.

So today I said goodbye. I put it out with the trash for pickup. And as I type this, looking out our front window at 9:40 a.m., I literally just saw the trash guys pick it up, toss it in the back with the rest of Ann Arundel County's broken things, and drive off, back up our street.

Am I too attached to stuff that's attached to good times, and good people? Maybe. Probably.

Yes.

Goodbye. And thanks for everything.


Last Ones In The Magic Kingdom
disney photo card
Image by Express Monorail
The girls thought it was AWESOME to be the last ones out of the park at 3:45 am!

Another shot that I had to attempt to edit without the RAW file… this is one I would really have loved to be able to work with the RAW image as it was severely underexposed and I think a lot of detail was lost. I think it’s an okay save, but still kicking myself. Went out and bought four 32GB cards and plan to use slot 2 at all times for redundancy from now on. Ya live and learn.
___________________________________________________________________

Main Street USA, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you're having a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah day!


What's In Your Bag? [EXPLORED]
disney photo card
Image by charliebarker
I have been requested to do this a couple of times, I thought it was about time I did it. I literally just emptied my bag out and arranged it to look nice, so apologies for sanitary products. Enjoy!

Explored on the 14th December 2012.

TumblrEmailBlog

All photos may not be used or reproduced without my permission. If you would like to use one of my images for commercial purposes or any other reasons, please contact me.

◘ No images in comments please, or you can be blocked, but group invites are welcome.

© Charlie P Barker | All rights reserved


Alice
disney photo card
Image by Jeanne Masar
I'm a big Alice fan. Not necessarily a Disney "Alice in Wonderland" type fan, more a fan of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass, as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky" (which last year my 2nd grader recited for his speech. He lost to "I have a dream" but, hey anyone can do that one, right?)

Make It Interesting ~ Challenge #3 - Crown

Starter image with thanks to Zoonabar


Playing Card Brushes and Wavy Hair Brushes- redheadstock
Black and white check The VersuS
Dark field - wallpaperstock.net
Model - firebabystock
Tree brush - ~Gurly
Background texture - skeletalmess

No comments:

Post a Comment